A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, October 28, 2013

Where Willows Grow (Heart of the Prairie #10) - Kim Vogel Sawyer

This was my last book in this series that I needed to read.  I did pick and choose to some degree and enjoyed most of them.  The ones I skipped are about the Mennonites, and personally I am not overly fond of that genre of fiction.  The complete list is:
1. Waiting for Summer's Return
2. Where the Heart Leads
3. A Promise for Spring
4. Fields of Grace
5. A Hopeful Heart
6. Courting Miss Amsel
7. A Whisper of Peace
8. Song of My Heart
9. A Home in Drayton Valley
10. Where Willows Grow.

Harley has been working hard to keep his farm going through a never-ending drought. Desperate to provide for his family, he decides to sell the mules and take a job elsewhere in Kansas building a castle.  He loves his wife but sees her growing discontent with her lot in life and wants to prove himself to her.  They are both stubborn and argue before he leaves.

While he is gone, both of them have a change of heart regarding the way they left things and want to make amends.  Unfortunately, the neighbor that Harley asked to help his wife out has been hopelessly in love with her since they were children.  Seeing this as an opportunity to gain what he wants, Jack goes to any measure he finds necessary to keep the two of them apart.

I did like this book, although I was irritated with Anna Mae at the beginning of the book. She is upset that Harley is leaving and didn't consult her.  Instead of trying to talk about the problem, she acts like a spoiled child and gives him the silent treatment.  Other than that, they both come to realize that it is best to make sure you don't leave things unsaid. Anna especially learns this lesson when a man from another town brings news of the castle project.  And all I can say about Jack is he is a bad, bad man!

The concept of the castle was unusual and I had the feeling that it was based on fact.  I looked it up online and there is a castle in Lindsborg, Kansas.  The place is called Coronado Heights Park.  I waited to find out a little bit about it at the end, but all I saw were dedications from the author.  I enjoy when authors incorporate truth like this, I just wish there had been a bit about it at the end of the book.  Likable characters, good story line - Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment