A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Against the Tide - Elizabeth Camden

Elizabeth Camden has become one of the authors that I look forward to reading.  When I pick up one of her books, I know that I'm going to be reading something that is a unique story with great characters.  In the past, I have seen that in The Lady of Bolton Hill, The Rose of Winslow Street, and Into the Whirlwind.  All great books and I was anxious to read this one.

Lydia spent part of her childhood on a boat and the rest of it in an orphanage.  Her knack for languages has landed her a job at the Navy Yard translating things from around the world.  She loves her job and enjoys that everything in her life seems to be in order.  All that changes when she faces losing her home.  She needs to come up with some extra money fast.

Bane likes to mess with Lydia's neat and tidy world.  If he was in a position to be attracted to a woman, it would be Lydia.  Not only does his past prevent him but also the present course of his life.  He was deeply involved in the opium trade and since he became a Christian, he now is on a mission to bring down the trade that he helped establish.  He also has determined to get back at the man who made him into who he used to be.  Since that man is always after Bane, he can't endanger Lydia by letting her into his world.

As with her other books, I was impressed.  I loved the characters and the originality of the story.  The historical notes at the end opened my eyes to some of the ways the opium trade affected so many lives, especially children.  I don't see anything else on the horizon from Camden, but I'll definitely be on the look-out.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment