A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods #3) - Serena B. Miller

As far as I can tell, this is the first time I have read this author.  On amazon, this book is listed as book #3, but I can't find evidence of what series it is referring to.  I did, however, make the connection that this book follows The Measure of Katie Calloway.  It seems that the characters in that book make an appearance in this book, but after realizing who they were, their role in this book is small enough that reading this out of order isn't a big deal.

In this book, Ingrid has come from Sweden to meet her twin brother, Hans, and make a new life in Michigan.  When her brother doesn't write, Ingrid begins to think that something has happened to him and now has to make her own way.  Unfortunately, she has ended up in the employ of a spoiled woman who abuses Ingrid and punishes her repeatedly. Fed up, Ingrid leaves and is now looking for another way to provide for herself.

Joshua Hunter's wife has just died mysteriously.  His in-laws are blaming him for her death, claiming that he must have poisoned her.  At the inquest, he is absolved of responsibility of his wife's death, but the in-laws push the case that he is unable to provide for the children.  The judge agrees, but Ingrid has seen kindness in Joshua and offers to be a mother to the children.  Feeling like this is the only way he can keep his children, he agrees to a marriage.  As time passes, Joshua tries to tell himself that he will never love anyone again, but time and unknown details might just change his mind.

I really enjoyed this book and ate it up.  I found Ingrid to be a great character and her plan for bringing Bertie back home, based on true events, was amusing.  The amount of research and true events that was weaved into the story was great and I'm happy to say that I've found myself a new author.  I've got The Measure of Katie Calloway already waiting on my Kindle.  Had I known it came before this one, I would have read it first.  Also, the author has written some Amish novels, which I'm not a fan of, but has released another book, Under the Blackberry Moon, just today.  It's on my watch list and I look forward to reading more.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment