A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, October 11, 2013

A Home in Drayton Valley (Heart of the Prairie #9) - Kim Vogel Sawyer

I've been reading through this series, picking out the ones I thought sounded interesting. The ones I've read so far are Waiting for Summer's Return, A Promise for Spring, A Hopeful Heart, Courting Miss Amsel and Song of My Heart.

Tarsie is a young, independent woman who is trying to make ends meet.  Her best friend, Mary, has been sick for quite some time and when Tarsie finds a book telling about the ideal place to live: Drayton Valley, Kansas.  She wants to get Mary out of the unhealthy air in New York and get to the cleaner air in Kansas.  It will also get Mary's children to a better place to grow up and Mary's husband, Joss, away from liquor.

Joss grew up with a father who was always angry and drank all the time.  He loves Mary and is devastated when he realizes how sick she really is.  He starts to wonder if she will even get to see Kansas.  As she's dying, Mary asks Tarsie to take care of her children but also Joss.  Tarsie's not so sure she can do it, but she vows to try.

This was an interesting read, but I must say it was a little depressing at times.  Tarsie does her best to show God's love to Joss, but he treats her with indifference and plans to leave first chance he gets.  The way he treats his children is the way he was treated even though he vowed not to become like his father.  At the end of the day, it was a good book about how anyone can turn their life around and I enjoyed it. I've got one more to read from this series, Where Willows Grow, and I look forward to reading it soon.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment