A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie #8) - Kim Vogel Sawyer

After reading Courting Miss Amsel, I placed this book on my watch list.  When it popped up for $2.99, I decided to go ahead and buy it.

Sadie has taken a job in Kansas to help her family out while her stepfather is ill.  While it's a far ways from Indiana, Sadie has her cousin, Sid, there to help smooth the way.  She will be working in the mercantile and will also have the opportunity to sing at the town's "opera house."

Thad is in the town on a secret mission to ferret out a group of bootleggers that the mayor feels may hurt the reputation of the town, seeing as they are in a dry state.  Thad is made sheriff and plans to turn in his badge for a Bible once this job is done.  He has his father's past to make up for.

Once Sadie arrives, she now has to deal with the fact that Sid doesn't want to be her cousin anymore (they are cousins by marriage, not by blood) and wants to make her fall in love with him.  Sadie, on the other hand, seems to be drawn romantically to Thad, bringing out an unpleasant side to Sid that Sadie never realized he had.

When it becomes apparent that the underground opera house is more than just for singing hymns, Sadie must make a choice to sing questionable songs for a rowdy crowd or lose her job.  Add to that, the fact that her employer is involved in the bootlegging and she's falling in love with the law, Sadie has some real issues to deal with.

Overall, I enjoyed the book.  I had some serious issues with the whole "shooting the badger" scene.  I thought it unrealistic the way it played out and couldn't believe that Sadie didn't ask ANY questions at all.  You'd also think that Sid would figure out how it looked and at least try to explain.  It was a real stretch for me to make the connections presented.

It was a nice read and worth the money I spent on it.  I'm not currently following any other books by this author.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment