A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) - Janette Oke

This book popped up for free and I quickly snatched it up.  I read this book back when I was a teenager and I liked it, but my DTB copy has been gone for quite some time.  I decided to pick this one up out of nostalgia and to see how much of it I remember.

Elizabeth has determined that she is going to head west to Calgary to be near her brother.  Her sole desire is to teach, not find a husband.  When she rejects the suit of the man in charge of the school, he sends her way out in the country out of bitterness.  Elizabeth is determined to see it through, and if that is where God wants her to teach, she is going to teach there.

Wynn is a Mountie that is helping out his family.  Elizabeth mistakenly believes that he is married, and when he starts to pay attention to her, she treats him harshly.  He is married to his work and believes that he should never get married and subject a woman to the kind of life that he leads.  She thinks about him all the time, but their interactions are few and far between.

If you have ever seen a Janette Oke book in person, you'll understand that these are not long books.  They are more what I would term a "diet" book.  It won't take you long and it's a nice enjoyable read without making you concentrate and keep track of every little detail that is going on.  This book is no different.

I didn't end up remembering much of the book from years ago, but the main thing that I had forgotten was that there really isn't much in there about Elizabeth and Wynn.  I would say that 3/4 of the book is about her journey as a teacher and her thoughts about Wynn are mixed in here and there.  It wasn't a bad book, it just doesn't have the normal amount of romance in there that I am used to.  If more of Janette Oke's books come up for free, I'd definitely pick them up, but there are just too many to track.  She has written over 40 books!

Overall, I liked Elizabeth's character, but I truly wish that we had been able to get to know Wynn more than we did.  I'm sure that we get to know him better as the series progresses, but I would have liked for him to be more developed in this first book of the series.  Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment