A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1) - Sharlene MacLaren

This was a new author for me and I was able to pick this book up for free.

Eliza Jane has taken the job in Kentucky as the new schoolmistress.  She gets a little bit of a culture shock when she arrives and it's not quite what she was used to back east.  Being warned of a few troublemakers, Eliza gets to experience first hand just what kind of trouble they can cause when she gets locked in the outhouse.

Her rescuer ends up being Ben, a widower with two children (yes, another dead spouse).  He has offered her the abandoned cabin on his land, but he needs to fix it up before she can move in.  Eliza is a stubborn woman who is determined to move into that cabin and have some privacy.

A number of events place them in each other's path, and they both feel the need to fight their feelings.  Eliza needs to steer clear because she could lose her job, and Ben is under the impression that Eliza has feelings for someone else.

One of the "children" in particular is teenage boy that is so much of a bother as to be a physical threat to not only Eliza, but his own family as well.  Protecting Eliza becomes much harder once she gets the law involved in the situation.

I enjoyed this book a great deal, even though there was yet another dead spouse.  I'm becoming used to the dead spouses so much that they're not even bothering me anymore.  This is a safe series for anyone who wants a completion to the story.  The next two books in the series are based on characters that we meet in this book, Sarah and Emma.  Book 2 is called Sarah My Beloved and book 3 is Courting Emma.  I'm tracking them both and hope to have the chance to read them in the future.  Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment