A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dear Lady (Coming to America #1) - Robin Lee Hatcher

This series was on my watch list and all 4 books popped up under my limit, so I picked them up.  In the past, I have read Catching Katie, A Vote of Confidence, Return to Me and Belonging.  While the latter 2 on the list were hardly my favorite books, I did enjoy the others and the subject matter of this series made me think that I would enjoy it.

Lady Elizabeth has escaped from an engagement to a cruel man to an uncertain future in America.  Heading off to Montana on her own, she hopes to fill a position as schoolmistress in a tiny town.  Her contact has been a 10 year old girl whom she has been exchanging letters with for quite some time.

Once she is dropped off at the cabin of Garrett Steele, she begins to wonder if she had made a good decision.  He obviously doesn't want her there and seems to be anxious to get rid of her.  Garrett has been hurt by a cruel wife who died years ago.  She was never happy with what Garrett could provide for her and was hardly a good wife.  He believes that Beth will end up being the same as his dead wife and works hard to keep his distance.

As usual, his plans don't work.  The other problem is that his best friend, Owen, is pursuing Beth and not willing to give up.  Beth thinks that Garrett still loves his deceased wife, but she still can't make herself love Owen.  She loves Garrett.

Small town gossip and circumstances throw Garrett and Beth together and eventually they really can't deny their feelings.  Garrett continues to deny them for as long as he can, but Beth breaks through his defenses.

I liked this book.  As in Belonging, the daughter plays a key role in making sure that the schoolmistress and her father get thrown together, but I still liked the book.  I enjoyed the character of Beth and look forward to the next one in the series, Patterns of Love, which is the story of Inga, a woman who travelled to America with Beth and corresponds with her throughout Dear Lady.  Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment