A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Always Remembered (American Tapestries) - Janelle Mowery

I was able to pick this one up for $1.99.  In the past, I have read a few of this author's books, including Showdown at Barncastle Inn and the entire Colorado Runaway series: When All My Dreams Come True, When Love Gets in the Way, and When Two Hearts Meet.  I enjoyed all these titles, so it was a no-brainer for me to pick this one up.

This story revolves around the battle for the Alamo in Texas.  At this point, it's a war between the Mexicans and the Americans that have developed the land.  Rosa's father had come to the land and been killed.  Now she has to deal with her stepfather, who feels that the Americans need to leave.  His passion for helping his side of the cause pushes him to use Rosa to gain information about the fort.  While she doesn't want to betray the men in the fort, her stepfather uses her mother to force her to get the information he wants.

Miles has watched Rosa from a distance and has finally stepped forward and gotten noticed.  While there are other men that are looking for Rosa's attention, Miles catches her eye.  He is supposed to be finding out who is leaking information about the fort to the Mexican president's troops and it sounds like Rosa's family is in the middle of it.

This was an unusual book for me.  Most of the time, I look at the interaction between the characters romantically, but this time, I was more interested the history in the book.  I applaud authors that take on historical events, because it is so easy to do it in such a way that you offend every historian that knows their stuff.  The way this book was written, I just had to keep reading and find out what happens to Miles.  The Alamo wasn't a happy ending event, so I was curious how this was going to pan out.  I was drawn to Miles' character more than Rosa's, and I almost felt like the relationship between the two was in the way at times.  I was more interested in the information leak and how Miles was going to solve the problems that surrounded him.

This book is part of a series called American Tapestries.  These books are all written by different authors and focus on different times in American history.  I noticed the Oregon trail, the Titanic, the American Revolution and some others.  Due to the variety involved in both topic and authors, I don't have any of the others on my list.  I did like this book, though and recommend it to get some perspective on the Alamo.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment