A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Light of My Heart (Silver Hills Trilogy #1) - Ginny Aiken

After reading book 2, Song of My Soul, and book 3, Spring of My Love, I was anticipating reading the story of Dr. Letty Morgan.

When Letty witnesses the death of a woman she could have possibly saved, she realizes Philadelphia will never accept her as a doctor and decides that she needs to head west. She reads a letter asking for a doctor in Hartville, Colorado, and takes it upon herself to answer the letter.  She feels that God has placed this opportunity in her path.

Eric is mourning the loss of his wife and child.  They died two years ago when his wife was in labor and refused to see a male doctor.  Now he feels that he needs to control everything he can.  He has asked for a female doctor to heal the women and children of Hartville.  He didn't count on headstrong Letty healing all the women and children, including the poor and the soiled doves in town.  Eric tries to warn her that her choices are going to alienate the town, but she is determined to follow her calling, no matter the consequences.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy this book at all.  After liking the other two, I was expecting a nice story.  Instead, I ended up being confused.  There were points where I ended up going back and reading pages again to try and figure out what was going on.  It started in the beginning where Letty assumed that Eric was married.  I wasn't sure why she thought that or why she would ask him where his wife was.  Overall, it seemed like there were too many parts where the author assumed the reader had some background knowledge.  I also wasn't fond of Eric.  He was controlling and wallowed in self-pity most of the book.

I don't like to write bad reviews because I know that the authors take a great deal of time and effort writing them.  Unfortunately, this book was a miss for me.  If I had picked it up first, I don't think I would have finished it.  I have a couple other books on my watch list by this author, but at this point, I'm not sure whether I will leave them there or not.  This one was disappointing for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment