A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, August 2, 2013

A Change of Fortune (Ladies of Distinction #1) - Jen Turano

A Change of Fortune is the first book in the Ladies of Distinction series.  There's a novella that is basically a prequel to this series called Gentleman of Her Dreams.  In that book, we get acquainted with Mr. Hamilton Beckett, who is one of the main characters in this book.

Eliza's life has changed drastically.  Her family dead, her fortune gone, she is now on a mission to see her father's reputation restored along with the family fortune.  To achieve this goal, she has made her way to New York in pursuit of the man who took it all away. Since all her "friends" and her so-called fiance turned their backs on her once her fortune was gone, she is working as a governess and keeping her true identity a secret.  When she is thrust into a dinner party, her life is about to change again.

Hamilton is intrigued by the woman who ends up sitting next to him at dinner.  She is wearing a hideous gown and has a great sense of humor.  It is obvious that she is more than a governess, but he has trusted in the past and been disappointed.  Unfortunately, his intentions to keep his distance disappear when she ends up losing her job and he ends up helping her on her quest for justice.

I really enjoyed this book.  I loved the depth of the characters and how you get to know them.  The story line was something that I'm not sure is all that realistic, but it doesn't bother me.  I personally liked the story.  There is another book out in this series, A Most Peculiar Circumstance, which tells the story of Theodore Wilder, someone we see a lot of in this book.  That being said, you don't really read anything about his love interest in this book so I think it's a great stand-alone.  The third book, A Talent for Trouble, comes out in October.  I can't wait to read more from this author.  I recommend this book.  It definitely gets a Good Book! review!


No comments:

Post a Comment