A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Dawn of a Dream (At Home in Beldon Grove #3) - Ann Shorey

Looking back at my review of Where the Wildflowers Bloom, I see that I have read the first book in this series in the past.  I also noticed that I wasn't overly fond of it.  So what inspired me to pick this one up, I'm not sure.  I paid $1.99 for it and hoped to enjoy it.

Luellen is a married woman who discovers that her husband is already married.  As she pursues a divorce, she jumps at the opportunity to go to school and get her teaching certificate.  Once she's there, she is so determined to finish school that she won't let anything get in her way.  When she finds out that she is pregnant, she needs to find a way to hide it from the school.

I won't say much about the plot, I don't want to give too much away should you decide to read it.  I just felt like this woman was the most selfish character I have read about in a long time.  She doesn't seem to care about anyone but herself.  Her parents are ill, and she wonders about being able to return to school.  When I was reading about how she was ignoring symptoms related to her baby, I was disgusted with her.

I held out a hope that she would come around, but I didn't hear her even mention being selfish until about 86% in.  She acts like the world revolves around her and when things don't go her way, she wallows in self-pity.  The way she treats her friend makes me wonder why the woman was nice to her.  If she's not hiding something, then Luellen is trying to boss her around and tell her what's best for her.  The "happy" ending didn't strike me as happy, because I felt bad for Wade being stuck with such a selfish manipulative woman.

Yes, it's fiction, but I want to enjoy my time reading.  I made sure I didn't have the other book in that series on my watch list, because if I didn't enjoy the first or third, I'd probably not enjoy the second one either.  I'm not giving up on this author, I still have the second book in the Sisters at Heart series, When the Heart Heals, on my watch list.  The third book, Love's Sweet Beginning, is scheduled to come out in February.  This one is definitely a pass for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment