A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Gentleman of Her Dreams - Jen Turano

I decided the read this free novella to see if I wanted to add this author's upcoming release, A Change of Fortune, to my price drop list.

Charlotte has asked God for a husband, and she thinks that He has answered in the form of Hamilton Beckett, a widower with children.  Charlotte has a tendency to get herself into trouble - a lot.  Her antics have even landed her best friend, Henry, in jail in the past.

As Charlotte begins to put her plan to win Hamilton's heart into action, Henry returns from being away for two years.  Believing that Mr. Beckett is what Charlotte really wants, he vows to help her any way he can, even though his feelings for her are more than friendly.

These two have the most unbelievable things happen to them.  I found that I could deal with the ridiculous situations with no issues, although I have my doubts about the "boat" scene on the Hudson River.  I don't think a boat in that shape would have made it very far without the problems they encounter.  It didn't really bother me though.

The part that bothered me was the moment Henry picks to tell Charlotte his true feelings.  I had to go back and read it about three times trying to figure out what set him off.  I'm still not 100% sure.  I also find it hard to believe that being friends since they were 4, neither of them let on that they were in love with each other.  Henry left because he started to feel like a burden to her because she sighed when it was their turn to dance.  I can't believe that he wouldn't make some sort of comment, "Oh, so you don't wish to dance?" or something along those lines, even in a joking manner.  These two seem to tease each other all the time.  Instead he leaves for two years?

We do get introduced briefly to the heroine of A Change of Fortune, Lady Eliza Sumner.  I went ahead and put it on my watch list.  There is an excerpt from the novel at the end of this novella, so it's worth it just to give the novel a try.  Overall, I did like this story, but I'm a hopeless romantic, so even though I have some reservations about the reveal, I did enjoy reading this.  Good Novella!

No comments:

Post a Comment