A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Immanuel's Veins - Ted Dekker - DTB

I have a great respect for Ted Dekker and what he's accomplished.  He's written in more than one genre successfully for years.  I personally own over 20 of his books and have read even more.  This book seems to address today's fascination with vampires.

Toma is a warrior, sent by Catherine the Great, to protect a family in Moldavia.  The mother and twin sisters live in a grand house and are free with their feelings and actions. Warned by an old man with a crow, Toma and his traveling companion, Alek, are told that an evil is coming.  Alek plans on entertaining his own desires while Toma has promised Catherine the Great that he will remain detached.

Once they arrive, it is evident that Natasha is the more wild of the sisters.  Lucine has had a terrible past and is more wary with her feelings.  There is a party at their home that is attended by a couple of people that are very open with their stares - "undressing with their eyes" is the way it is described.  Offense is taken, one man is shot in the head, and the leader, Vlad, takes the rest of the staring people back to their castle.

Toma begins to feel a love for Lucine, but Natasha and now Alek are disappearing up to the castle of Vlad and he needs to know why.  He fears something sinister, but when he goes there to investigate, the alluring women lure him in and he ends up drinking the blood they offer.  Lucine sees him under the influence of the blood and fears that she has misjudged him.

The sensual aspect of this book is something that I couldn't get used to.  To me, it was reminiscent of the Underworld series.  Dark, sensual and violent.  Not really something that I enjoy.

I never did like the whole vampire genre, so it's not shocking that I was unable to finish this book.  It pains me that after all the Ted Dekker books I have read and enjoyed, this is the first one that I haven't been able to finish.  There have been books of his that I have enjoyed more than others, but I usually am engaged enough in the story that I feel the urge to find out what happened.

With much pain, I give this book a bad review.  I don't plan on avoiding Dekker in the future, he's a good author.  I suppose if you really enjoy vampires and that sort of thing, you might enjoy it.  I personally did not.


No comments:

Post a Comment