A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, October 22, 2012

A Veiled Reflection (Westward Chronicles #3) - Tracie Peterson

Finishing off a series.  A Shelter of Hope and Hidden in a Whisper were the first two.

Jillian has been convinced by her twin sister to take her place at the Harvey House in Arizona.  Judith wants to get married, but Mr. Harvey frowns upon girls that don't fulfill their contracts and Judith is afraid that he will demand some of her wages back.  Judith doesn't have the money, she has given it to her fiance to help start his business.  Judith pleads until Jillian agrees to leave her posh existence and head for the desert.

It doesn't take long for Jillian to show her lack of experience and she ends up cutting her hand.  When she is forced to the doctor's office, he insists on inspecting Judith's "burn." Finding nothing on Jillian's arm, she has to come clean about the situation.  Mac agrees to keep her secret.

Mac has been hurt in the past by a woman and has sworn off looking for love.  There's something about Jillian that stirs his heart.  He can't understand how he could look on one sister as a friend and want to be much more with Jillian.

The Navajo are being forced to abandon their traditions and their troubles spill over to the town.  Jillian wants to help.  She may come from a rich family, but she can still see that these people need compassion and love just like anyone else.

Misunderstandings come between Jillian and Mac a few times and Jillian's lies become a problem for those around her.  She eventually knows that she's going to have to tell the truth if she wants to avoid going back to Kansas City and living the society life that her mother and father want her to have.

Although I did enjoy this book, I have to say that Jillian and Mac were not the characters that I expected this final book in the series to be about.  I was hoping to hear more about Una from book 1 or Gwen from book 2.  To clarify, Gwen is a character in the third book, as is Zack from book 1.  I guess that it ties it all together in a way, but I just wished there was more of a consistent thread in the series.  The first two set up the opportunity for that, it just didn't happen to my satisfaction, even with the appearance of the Gwen and Zack. Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment