A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Swiss Courier - Tricia Goyer & Mike Yorkey

I've had this book on my Kindle for a little bit and decided to give it a shot.  It's not the normal romances that I like to read.  I've also read Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington by Tricia Goyer and I really liked that one.  Living in Washington, I felt a connection with the setting.  Also with the time period.  I have a personal interest in some of the WWII books since my grandfather was a pilot with the Army Air Corps.

This book is also during WWII, set in Switzerland, a neutral country in the war.  To avoid upsetting either side, they send Jews back to Germany and hold stranded Allied pilots in "camps."  They're more on vacation than anything else, but escape attempts are punished. I'd say that the book follows 3 main story lines that come together as the book goes on.

Gabi has joined up to decipher communications and has safe cracking skills.  She gets involved in a situation that is more than it seems, but relies on God to get her through.  She's also got Eric, a farmer, and Dieter, her boss, after her romantically.  She knows that Eric is steady and a good Christian, but she is starstruck by Dieter's involvement in the war efforts.  The romance aspect of the book was subtle, but worked well with the book.

Joseph Engel is working with the Germans on a wonder weapon.  This is shortly after the failed assassination attempt on Hitler, so the Gestapo is looking closely at everyone.  They discover that Joseph was adopted and that he was born a Jew.  Upon closer inspection, they decide that he needs to be detained.

The American intelligence finds out about the planned abduction and works with their contacts in both Switzerland and Germany to get there first.  They successfully grab him first, but they still have to get him out of the country.  We find out about a group of individuals that risk their lives to shelter him and an American pilot that becomes important in the rescue attempt.

I LOVED this book.  It's rare that I enjoy a book this much.  The research involved in this book was incredible.  There was a lot of information about the war that was presented in a manner that definitely kept my attention.  I had to stop myself from reading too much of the book at one sitting so I didn't mess up my eyes.  I recommend this book if you have interest in WWII and like a good spy story.

I also have Chasing Mona Lisa, which is another book by these two and looks like it has some of the same characters in it.  I don't want to give it away who it is because some of the characters are not what they seemed in the first book.  If you read the summary of it, you'll find out of course, but not by me!  I plan on reading it soon.  If it's anything like the first one, it will be an action-packed exciting book.  This one is one of my favorite books to get a Good Book label.

No comments:

Post a Comment