A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Chasing Mona Lisa - Tricia Goyer & Mike Yorkey

After reading The Swiss Courier, I was excited to read more from these two.  If you haven't read that one, I recommend reading it first.  Sometimes there are books in a series that can be read alone, but I think that these two would definitely be more enjoyable in order.

Still in WWII, Gabi and Eric are traveling to France during a turbulent time.  The liberation is in full swing and they meet up with Bernard, who is a member of one of the many different liberation forces.  His group, along with the others, have joined together to do their best to help free Paris from German occupation.  Bernard believes that his Communist ideals are more important than anything else, even love.

Colette is his girlfriend.  They haven't known each other very long and both have their secrets.  Colette works for the Louvre and is in charge of many of the paintings.  She also has the location of some of the more valuable pieces that were moved before the occupation.  She is being forced to deal with a German who uses the Louvre as his own personal gallery to pick from.  Blackmail is forcing her to keep the secret from everyone, including Bernard.

The German art collector knows that his future is uncertain since it seems that they have lost Paris.  It's only a matter of time before his days are ended.  He plots a scheme to steal the Mona Lisa to use as a bargaining chip.  Now Gabi, Eric, Colette and Bernard have to work together to assure the safety of one of the nation's most beloved pieces.

As secrets are revealed, Colette and Bernard are faced with knowing more about each other than they were prepared for.  I didn't get the overall happy ending that I usually expect in my books, but I have to say that it was appropriate.  I didn't mourn the way it ended at all.

Just like The Swiss Courier, I loved this book.  It was an easy read for me and I loved the recurrence of many of the characters from the first book including the American pilot.  The action was exciting and I learned more about the war in a way that was interesting but not overwhelming.  I highly recommend these two books and am happy to give it my Good Book review!

No comments:

Post a Comment