A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Into the Woods - Linda Jones

I'll admit to a certain amount of desperation lately.  I didn't have many books left and it was a circumstance I wasn't prepared for!  In normal times, when I have 20 books, I avoid the cheaper books as much as possible.  It's not that I think they are all bad, it's just that most of them don't appeal to me.  I picked this one up because it seemed an unusual story and the cover reminded me of the good old fashioned gothic novels where the cover shows the slightly inept heroine running from the castle.


Now usually, I will add the picture of the cover at the end.  You'll soon find out why I placed this one here.

I read some of this book.  It tells the story of Matilda, a woman believed to be a witch.  At the beginning of the book it is a play on the story of Hansel and Gretel.  Matilda's last name is Candy.  Need I say more?

After making something of himself, Declan has come back to his hometown to gloat.  His plan includes wooing the most eligible lady in town and making her fall in love with him.  He remembers Matilda's grandmother, and even though he doesn't believe in magic, decides to ask her for help.  Finding Matilda might change things.

Something was striking me as odd about this book.  I went back to the amazon reviews.  I usually don't read much of the reviews ahead of time, I don't want to be influenced.  From the reviews, I found out that they create a potion and decide to "test" it.  That led me to believe that there were going to be sex scenes in the book.  Further reading confirmed my suspicions.

When I went to look the book up at amazon, I saw that the paperback version of the book had a different cover than the Kindle version.  Had I seen the paperback cover, I would never have picked up the book.  I know that you can't judge a book by its cover, but sometimes you can tell more about what's inside than you think.  Lesson learned for me and it has been removed.






No comments:

Post a Comment