A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Texas Roads (A Miller's Creek Novel) - Cathy Bryant

I'm running out of things to read on my Kindle!  I have 4 books total at the moment and it's probably the lowest number I've had on there since I got it!  I've got a trip planned at the end of the month and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to break down and try to find a book to buy that's within my limit.

Texas Roads is the story of Dani.  She is escaping her life in the city to visit an aunt she's never met.  She is trying to find a place to call home.  Her aunt, Mama Beth, is living in a small town that is struggling and it's the hometown of her now wealthy and snooty mother.  Her mother is incredibly critical and manipulative.

On the way to Miller's Creek, Dani's car runs out of gas and she meets Steve.  Not knowing that he is the mayor and future love of her life, Dani makes some comments on small town living and the people that live there.  This creates a rocky start for them.

Steve is trying to protect his town and Mama Beth, who is like a mother to him.  She has some medical problems that throw Steve and Dani together and he is able to see that she honestly cares.  Both have been hurt and have no interest in pursuing a relationship, but that's about the time that they fall in love regardless of what their heads are telling them.  Secrets and misunderstandings throw a wrench into their friendship and romance.

I thought that the book was good, but there was a ton of depressing elements to overcome.  There was cancer, betrayal, mistrust, dementia, divorce, death, fire, vandalism and more death.  I didn't have any issues making it through the book, but I don't think that I'm going to watch any more in the series.  There was a preview of the next book (and only one I found) in the series, A Path Less Traveled, and it starts out with Steve's sister and her husband has died.  It's just too depressing for me.  Texas Roads will get my Good Book review regardless of the small issues I had with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment