A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County #1) - Regina Jennings

This book is an obvious take on the Bible story of Ruth, Naomi and Boaz.  Sometimes I have problems making the connection, but this book makes it clear from the beginning when Rosa leaves her family in Mexico to come back to Texas with her mother-in-law.

Both women are widows and Rosa is not used to the customs of the Americans.  She makes a spectacle of herself on more than one occassion, although she is trying especially hard not to.  When the women get back to the ranch, they find that the people that had leased it are gone and have not paid the taxes on it for three years.  The women have 3 months to come up with an impossible amount of money.  While her mother-in-law, Louise, is in denial about the reality of raising the funds, Rosa is desperately working and trying to find a way.

Weston is the cousin of Rosa's late husband.  He is feeling guilty for the death of his wife and has secluded himself from others.  Running into Rosa changes that, but he fights it all the same.  Rosa also fights her feelings for Weston, she has been in a loveless marriage before.

Rosa's unusual ways and hard work also draw the attention of their lecherous neighbor who believes that he can use Rosa's ignorance of America's customs to take advantage of her.  He follows her about and takes delight in the fact that he might have a chance at the farm when Rosa and Louise are unable to come up with the money.

If you have any doubts to the connection with Ruth and Boaz, the story is mentioned in the book itself.  I almost didn't read the book when I read the prologue, it seemed like I had picked up the wrong book.  Rosa was headed to the barn at night where she was to go ask a man to help her.  I looked again, and it was a Bethany House book, so I knew I could read on safely.

This seems to be the only book available by this author, but it was a great read and I hope to see more from her in the future.  I got it for free, but at present it is only $5.59 and worth the money.  Definitely gets my Good Book tag!

No comments:

Post a Comment