A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, March 2, 2012

A Dream Unfolding (Prescott Pioneers #1) - Karen Baney

I want to start out by saying that I'm disappointed that for the 3rd month in a row I've had NO hits on my wish list.  I didn't even see anything interesting in the 100 books offered for $3.99 or less.  Bummer!

On to this book.  I wanted to like this one since they also offered up the other 2 in the series for free as well.  I was looking forward to a new trilogy.  This one even came complete!  I ended up quitting about 50% in.  I even took it off my Kindle at one point and then re-downloaded it to try and muck through. 

This book follows two groups of people.  The first is Hannah and Drew.  Drew is a doctor in Cincinnati and has a nice practice.  Unfortunately, when his brother tries to rob the bank the town turns against him.  Hannah's best friend even turns on her.  I found that a little hard to believe to be honest.  The two had been friends since childhood and Hannah had nothing to do with it.  You would think that her friend would at least be sad to give up Hannah as a friend if she felt so compelled.  Anyway, Drew decides to relocate to the Arizona territory.  Hannah was thinking a little closer, Indiana, and ends up angry at Drew and giving him the silent treatment for almost half the trip.

Will is a rancher whose father has just died.  His selfish brother, Reuben, has ordered that he take his part of the inheritance and leave the ranch.  Reluctantly leaving his sister behind, Will takes a few cowboys, his herd and heads west.  Along the way, they deal with Indians and lack of sleep.  By the time I quit reading, he had at least gotten to Arizona.

I found the insight into westward travel interesting, but the long descriptions left me wanting.  I craved a romance in there for Will.  It felt like a long book.  I kept expecting something to happen.  I started to check my % more and more often and inwardly groan that I hadn't gotten far.  The other 2 that were up free were A Heart Renewed and A Life Restored.  I think that if you are in the mood to read a book that will give you a window into the hardships of settling the west, you would probably like this book more than I did.  It just wasn't for me and I've taken the other 2 off my Kindle as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment