A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fearless - Max Lucado

Imagine your life without fear.  That's the concept of this book by Max Lucado.  This is actually my first read from the popular Christian author.  I've heard from more than one person that he's a good author but a lot of his books seem repetitive.  Since it's my first, I can't comment either way.  I picked it up a long time ago when it was $2.99.  I read through the main part of it a while back and then just recently picked it back up to read again.

I struggle with fear sometimes.  Who doesn't?  This book covers most of the major causes of fear that I can think of including fear of death, fear of not mattering, fear of violence, fear of not protecting my kids, etc. 

I found a lot of really good thoughts in this book.  I have to admit that I again didn't make it through the questions at the back of the book.  I would recommend that, if you read it, try to complete the Bible study/soul questions as you complete the chapters.  Since I had forgotten about the questions, I got to the end and they felt disconnected in many ways.

Some of the thoughts that I read that really struck me, I highlighted.  I just have to say that being able to highlight something in the Kindle is really helpful for people like me who HATE writing/highlighting in books.  Just some of the amazing things I read:

Fear creates a form of spiritual amnesia.  It dulls our miracle memory.  It makes us forget what Jesus has done and how good God is.

Fear of insignificance creates the result it dreads, arrives at the destination it tries to avoid, facilitates the scenario it disdains.

And my personal favorite:
Everything will work out in the end.  If it's not working out, it's not the end.

There's TONS more good stuff in this book.  My highlight list goes on and on.  There's even a list of worry stoppers that uses the letters in the word "peaceful."  If fear has ever tried to get a hold of you in a way that it doesn't want to let go, I recommend this book.  Even if you only struggle with occasional fear, I still recommend the book.  It's a good resource and something I can see myself using again in the future.  Great Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment