A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Heartbreak Trail - Shirley Kennedy

This book was another one of my impulse freebies.  I've been drawn to the tales of the west lately and decided this one sounded interesting.

Lucy is living in Boston with her distant husband.  He is completely under the thumb of his brother who decides to sell their farm and head west to California.  Lucy's choice is to leave her husband and go back and live with her unbearable stepmother or pack up and head west.  Lucy loves her husband's son from his first marriage and decides to stay with him.

One of the guides for the wagon train is Clint, a rough around the edges man who is attracted to the married Lucy.  Lucy feels the attraction as well and does her best to hide it.  Unfortunately there are a few people that seem to pick up on it anyway.

An accident kills her husband and leaves Lucy with yet another choice.  Will she leave Noah, her stepson, and head back east?  Her husband's brother claims that since she is only his stepmother, she has no claim on him and he will stay with his uncle.  His uncle is a cruel, unhappy man who can preach nothing but fire and brimstone.  Leaving would also separate Lucy from Clint.

I made it to 43% and there it was.  The sex scene.  Once the character of Clint was introduced, there was some language, so I had some inkling that the sex could be on the way.  I wasn't quite sure how a crowded, no privacy place like the wagon train would be able to accommodate that, but lo and behold, there was magically a rainy day where everyone stayed inside.  I found this odd, since it was repeatedly mentioned that there is nowhere to hide without someone seeing something.

Beyond the aspects that offend my prudish nature, the writing was good, yet depressing.  Understanding that traveling the trail to the west was hardly an easy journey, I knew that it wasn't going to be a totally uplifting story.  It's just not my kind of book.

No comments:

Post a Comment