A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington - Tricia Goyer & Ocieanna Fleiss

After reading some of Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa, I was a little wary to devote time to another one.  I read the blurb on it and it has a totally different story and totally different authors.  Also, being a resident of Washington made me want to read it.  I seem to appreciate stories more when I can relate to things like location.

The setting is World War 2 near Seattle.  This is the story of Rosalie who is a riveter in the Boeing plant helping make B-17s for the war.  A chance meeting on the anniversary of her fiance's death brings her Kenny, a reporter.  After beating the national record for most rivets in a shift, Kenny wants to make her a spotlight of patriotism.  Her father was a reporter, and she is very bitter about reporters, so she tries pushing him away.  Kenny has his own guilt by honoring his promise to his father that he would stay home from the war and write instead.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book.  I learned a lot about the area during the war and some things about the war itself that I didn't know.  I appreciate the facts that were in the story but didn't read like a history lesson.  Rosalie and Kenny are great characters and I'm glad that I picked this one up.  Good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment