A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Beguiled - Deeanne Gist & J. Mark Bertrand

I really like Deeanne Gist, which is what prompted me to spend the $2.99 this month and give this one a shot.  Most all of her novels that I have read have been historical, which is what I really enjoy reading.  This, however, was more of a contemporary novel.

This one was a little reminiscent of Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington due to the fact that the hero in this one was a reporter again.  Rylee is a dog walker in a posh part of Charleston.  She walks in on the "Robin Hood" burglar, a man who takes specific items from the rich and donates them to places around town.  Logan is a reporter working on a book about various criminals in the history of the city.  They come together when Rylee, well mostly the dog, corners Logan on a monument when she's walking a dog at night.

Rylee becomes involved whether she likes it or not.  The police start to suspect that she is either behind the robberies or working with the thief himself.  It becomes increasingly more difficult to profess her innocence when it seems like all her clients are the targets of the robberies.  She has the schedules of the occupants of the houses and even has keys!

Logan doesn't believe in her guilt, even though most of the people around him are trying to caution him otherwise.  I like that he sticks to his gut on this one, defending her to the end.  As the story moves along, we find out that Rylee is more involved than she thought, though not in the way you would think.  We also find out that not everyone is what they seem.

Once I got used to the idea that this was a modern novel, I was okay with it.  Deeanne delivered again and I was not at all disappointed that I had spent a few bucks on it.  Good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment