A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope #1) - Catherine Palmer

This is my 4th book of Catherine Palmer's that I have read now (The Affectionate Adversary, The Courteous Cad and A Kiss of Adventure).  She is becoming one of my new favorite authors.  I hadn't read a Christian Historical Western Romance for a while and was glad to get back to my preferred genre.

Rosie is a foundling living in an orphanage.  When she witnesses an encounter between Seth Hunter and a man trying to take Seth's child, Rosie intervenes and earns her place on his farm helping out, but just until the fall.

Since the war between the states, Seth has been confronted with the loss of his wife and the knowledge that he has a son.  His wife's family never approved and has poisoned the boy's mind against that "Yankee."  Seth had a rocky childhood and isn't sure how to act around Chipper to make him feel more comfortable.  In comes Rosie, with her outspoken opinions, unceasing talking and seemingly endless joy.

Seth tries to push her away, but Rosie is not easily pushed back.  She has something he and his son need desperately and he learns that giving a little isn't the worst thing in the world.  Rosie has to learn to deal with her birth in a cruel way and learn that love is not about being comfortable.

This is set in the Kansas prairie and I got to learn a little about the grasses and animals that can live out there.  It wasn't a textbook and was integrated well.  There is also a scene in there about the grasshopper infestations and I was struck by how quickly lives could change out there.

Overall, I enjoyed this book.  It is part of a trilogy, Prairie Fire and Prairie Storm being the other 2.  I went ahead and bought Prairie Fire for $3.99, which focuses on the "kidnapper" and a friend of Rosie's.  There was also a loose tie in called Prairie Christmas which is 3 novellas but only 1 is written by Catherine Palmer.  As far as I can tell, it is also not available for the Kindle.  I'm in the process of reading Prairie Fire and am enjoying that one so far!  Prairie Rose - Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment