A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Before the Season Ends - Linore Rose Burkard

This was a freebie and looked to be right up my alley. 

Ariana has decided that she needs to wed the local pastor so that she can follow God's call for her life.  The man is her father's age, and her family isn't happy with the idea, so they send her to London to spend the season with her aunt. She is an outspoken girl who is unwilling to waver on her principles for anything.  A godly man is what she wants and that is what she intends to get, no matter what her aunt has in mind.

Phillip is a popular man who is constantly turning away any woman that he thinks has set her cap for him.  When he finds Ariana stuck up in a tree, it starts off a relationship that grows with time.  Phillip tries to deny his feelings as long as he can, but it's a lost cause.

When we finally get to the "engagement," Ariana declares that she will not have Phillip unless he has given himself to God.  It becomes a sore spot for the both of them and Ariana isn't sure what to do.  Add in the pious Mr. O'Brien who is sure that he can convince Ariana that she will be unequally yoked with Phillip so that he can try for her himself.

I am on the fence about how I feel about this one.  I liked that I got my happy ending (a must for me!) but there were little annoying things that bothered me as well.  I'm not sure why, but for some reason the aunt saying "my gel" all the time got on my nerves.  And Ariana got a little tiresome as well.  She was so willing to think the best of Phillip until a slight acquaintance accuses him of heinous acts.  Suddenly she is willing to break off the engagement without any explanations by Phillip.  And this is after he has been VERY obliging and compliant to all of Ariana's wishes.  It just bothered me.  I'm going to refrain from giving this one my high Good Book rating, but it really wasn't that bad overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment