A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Courteous Cad (Miss Pickworth #3) - Catherine Palmer

I had picked up the first book in this series, The Affectionate Adversary, quite a while back for free and put the other 2 on my watch list, this one and The Bachelor's Bargain.  The price dropped on this one to $3.99 and I picked it up.  Usually I wait for the books I'm watching to go below $5.00 before I'll consider purchasing it.

This book reminded me a little of one of my favorite movies, North & South.  Not the Civil War version with Patrick Swayze, but the BBC one based on the Elizabeth Gaskell novel about the cotton mills in northern England.  Great movie by the way. 

Prudence is pick pocketed by a poor boy who works in a nearby worsted mill making wool.  After seeing the miseries that the poor go through and discovering that her former fiance is working there, Prudence decides that God is sending her to better the lives of these people.

William is a former naval officer whose past haunts him.  Convinced that he must never involve his heart or let anyone else's heart be involved with him, he lives with his brother in a secluded country manor and plans on paying his debts by way of his mill.  Prudence is more than he bargained for and ends up being the undoing of all his plans.

I thought this was a nice story of redemption and love.  I got a smidge annoyed at Prudence for keeping her secret for so long, but then again, I am not a big fan of the whole secrets thing.  William has his own secrets, but he tries to bring them to light and is open about his being a cad even though he is ever reforming himself.  We even discover the identity of the mysterious Miss Pickworth, even though I wondered about the naming of this series as the Miss Pickworth areas of the book are small and not entirely important to the plot.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this book and hope that the second one drops in price sometime soon.  Good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment