A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa - Melanie Dobson

This one was free and it looked like the Christian Amish books that I don't read, but since it was Amana, I decided to give it a shot and try to learn something new.

You have Jacob, who has lost his job as a banker and basically everything else in the depression, including his wife and baby son.  All he has left is his daughter, Cassie.  Jacob sells everything he can to get train tickets to Washington.  Unfortunately, when they get to the train station, the workers are striking and attacking the trains.  Cassie is sick and Jacob has to get her away from the city.  Climbing into a fleeing freight car, Jacob gets a bad gash in his leg from the workers trying to prevent his escape.  As the journey continues, Cassie gets worse and they have to get off at the next stop, being Homestead, Iowa.  Here the excitement ends for me. 

Leisel is committed to her society in the Amana colonies.  She helps the outsiders and becomes attached to them even though she is engaged.  Battling the accusation of embezzlement, Jacob has a hard time earning the trust of the Elders and convincing them that he really wants to stay.  A flood makes the Elders reconsider their beliefs about Jacob and the end has a happy ending.

I think this book goes in my tolerable category.  I wouldn't read another of these, they are too reminiscent of the Amish books.  For some reason, those always seem the same to me.  Pretty good book if this is your kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment