A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Lye in Wait (A Home Crafting Mystery) - Cricket McRae

This little mystery reminded me a lot of the Psalms 23 mysteries.  I liked those, but there are times when you wonder whether these women are really that dense or they just need to be for the sake of the story line. 

Sophie is a widow that lives with her best friend and her daughter.  When their handyman dies in her workroom, Sophie suspects that something foul has happened.  The only person to believe her is a police detective.  After a few incidents, more people come around to her thinking.  There is also the ex-husband coming in and disrupting her friend's life.  Of course, that ties in later but not quite the way you would think.  Sophie does some really dumb things that make you wonder if people really mess up investigations this way in real life and what happens when real policemen find out.

I kinda found the whole "drinking lye to die" part kinda creepy, but I learned things about lye and making things I would never make.  The budding romance between the detective and Sophie was a little weird in that she had no clue what was going on in her heart.  She felt funny and didn't want him to think she was weird.  I just thought that it could have been developed a little better.  That's the main part I like anyway, but since this was a mystery, I should have focused more on the murder and less on the interactions between those two.  My bad!

I personally was a little impressed that I was not able to figure out the whodunit part of the story until it was revealed.  Did I have parts figured?  Sure, but the total answer was not clear in my mind.  There are recipes in the back for you to make your own bath salts and things.  Not something I would do but might appeal to some.  There are others in the series: Heaven Preserve Us, Spin a Wicked Web, Wined and Died, and Something Borrowed Something Bleu.  If they come up free, I suppose I would pick them up.  I wouldn't buy them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment