A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Texas Hold Him - Lisa Cooke

This was a freebie that I picked up although it looked a little racy for my prudish sensibilities.  It's not too long and the language wasn't overly bad, but there are cuss words in it.  It's not overwhelming like every other word or anything.  There were about 2 sex scenes that I was able to get through with a little skimming and a blush or two.  Not too bad for me.  Normal people probably wouldn't be phased!

Lottie is in trouble.  She is being blackmailed by someone who claims to have seen her father commit a murder.  Her father's memory not always being that steady these days, Lottie decides to take matters into her own hands when faced with coming up with 15K in a matter of weeks.  An idea forms for her to get on a riverboat, and with NO experience, she plans to win the 25K prize money by acquiring lessons from a successful gambler.  She changes her identity to hide her ladylike upbringing and take a job on the riverboat, and in the end, Lottie and the gambler are more connected than they thought.

I was actually quite surprised that I liked this book.  I smiled a few times at the humor and once laughed out loud.  Lottie has a humorous way of getting her way when the gambler decides he's not going to help her.  And how can you not appreciate a book where the hero's name is Dyer Straights?!

No comments:

Post a Comment