A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Hunter's Prize (Backwoods Brides #3) - Marcia Gruver

This is the third book in this series.  The first book is Raider's Heart and the second is Bandit's Hope.  After reading those two and liking them, I decided to go ahead and finish out the series.

Addie comes to Marshall to take the position as governess to a small boy.  Once she arrives, she discovers that there's more to the boy than she's used to dealing with and is determined to run back home.  Her mother asks her to reconsider and Addie sees that she might just have what it takes to give this little guy a better life.  When she meets a man who looks a little rough around the edges, she's not sure what to think of him, but her heart does.

Pearson has come to Marshall to find a wrecked steamship.  He's taken by Addie, but she seems peeved at him and he's not sure why.  In fact, she seems to have a knack for jumping to the wrong conclusion.  He eventually breaks through her assumptions, but then his character is questioned again when strange things begin affecting Addie's charge.

Add in the presence of two strange men from South Africa and you're wondering what will happen and if poor Pearson will ever be judged by his character and not the strange circumstances around him. I felt bad for him, since everyone, including the reverend, doubts him at one point or another.  I think Addie's initial problem with Pearson was somewhat confusing and they could have easily tested to see if he was the one little Cedric was afraid of.  Other than that, it was a decent read.

Addie is Tiller McRae's daughter.  Tiller and Mariah are the main characters in book two, but you could easily read this one alone or out of order and be okay.  Overall, my favorite book in the series was probably the first one, Raider's Heart, but none of them are duds. Good Book!




No comments:

Post a Comment