A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Raider's Heart (Backwoods Brides #1) - Marcia Gruver

This is actually the first book I've read by this author.  I'm not quite sure why I had this entire series on my watch list, because I normally wouldn't do that without at least reading something by the author first.  I took a chance and bought this series when each book dropped in price to $1.99.  This is the first book in the series.  The other two are called Bandit's Hope and Hunter's Prize.

Dawsey lives in a nice house in Fayetteville, North Carolina.  Her life isn't as nice as her house.  Her father has been in a strange daze for as long as she can remember.  All he does is sit by the window with a strange golden lamp.  Dawsey tends his needs, and late one night it changes her life forever.

Hooper comes from a family of people who do what they think is necessary to live.  His father tells the story of the golden lamp and it becomes something of a family legend. When Hooper is sent to pick up his young cousin who's going to live with them, he finds out that the lamp is real.  He just has to see it for himself and that's when he runs into Dawsey. Her shouts cause him to snatch her up and take her back to his family's home.

Bringing her to the swamp may have been on impulse, but looking at Dawsey in the light of day reveals the family secret that Hooper's sister, Ellie, is actually Dawsey's twin sister. Hooper's father felt justified in taking the child since he left one behind.  He had no idea that anguish it caused Dawsey's family.

While Dawsey is held against her will, she plans her escape.  Her chance comes, but she doesn't have the skills to make it away on her own.  When she's rescued, something shifts in the way she sees this family.  She starts to fall for Hooper, but his violence scares her and she's not sure she wants to pursue her feelings.

This was a very unusual book, and I've never really read anything like it.  I did enjoy reading it and was glad I picked it up.  I was confused for a while about Hooper's background and why he felt justified in his criminal activities.  I think it could have been a little better explained in the beginning, but it was a nice, quick read overall and I look forward to reading the next book.  It's about Tiller, the young cousin, who appears in this book.  I'm not sure how much connection there will be between the books, but I'll know more after I read the next one.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment