A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, October 3, 2014

The Lady's Maid (Prairie Dreams #1) - Susan Page Davis

This is the first book in the Prairie Dreams series.  The other two are called Lady Anne's Quest and A Lady in the Making.

Elise and Anne have come from England to find Lady Anne's uncle.  He's the key to figuring out her family's fate regarding an earldom and no one has heard from him in years.  Now that her future is uncertain, Anne decides to head to America in search of her uncle, David.  Their search leads them to join a wagon train headed for Oregon.

Elise has been serving Anne's family for decades and she's been sweet on David since before he left.  She's committed to seeing this journey though with her mistress, even though they are now traveling as friends.  They're going to have to adapt quickly if they want to survive on the trail.  Elise particularly wants to prove herself to a certain man who didn't think they should be with their wagon train to begin with.

Eb is the scout for the wagon train and it doesn't take him long to admire Elise's spunk and determination.  It's the first time in a long time that a woman has caught his eye, but he's in denial.  When mysterious things begin happening to the ladies from England, he's first on the scene to help them out.  Something about their quest to find Anne's uncle is causing trouble to follow them, and they need to figure out what's going on.

I did enjoy this book.  Elise was a great character with her loyalty and stubborn nature.  While Anne is the dainty lady at the beginning, she toughens up during the trip and I liked her much better toward the end.  I wish Eb had been a bit deeper of a character, but he had his moments later on and I was pleased overall.  At the end of this book, we have unresolved issues regarding Anne's uncle, hence the second book, Lady Anne's Quest.

I can't say for sure whether you need to read these in order.  I have the rest of the series on my Kindle, so I'll be able to give a better opinion after the second one.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment