A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, October 13, 2014

The Unbridled Bride (Mail-Order Matches) - Leah Atwood

I was looking for something on the shorter side to read and decided to take a peek at what amazon had to offer.  We signed up for a Prime membership last month, and that includes being able to borrow books.  After scrolling through a few pages, I found this short story and decided to give it a shot.  I've never read anything by this author before, so I was interested to see what I thought.

Winnie has been forced to leave her beloved Wyoming, but not before vowing she'll do whatever it takes to get back there someday.  That opportunity arises when she agrees to marry a man who runs a cattle ranch.  She's looking to guard her heart and be more of another hand around the ranch, but her husband wants a wife.

Lyle is confused by Winnie's behavior and I was as well for most of the book.  It wasn't a horrible story, but for only being 53 pages, it felt like more.  Except for the dialogue between the characters, the paragraphs were consistently long, making me feel like I was trudging through the book instead of flowing along with the story.  I wished there had been more interaction between Lyle and Winnie.

This book is part of a series that involves five books at present that includes The Not Quite Mail-Order Bride, A Man to be Proud of, The Mail-Order Bride's Quilt, The Ultimatum Bride, and The Unbridled Bride.  I believe any of these can be read alone.  These are short stories, the shortest having only 26 pages and the longest 76.  Overall, it was a decent story, but I wish there had been more depth to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment