A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, November 6, 2014

When Love Blooms - Robin Lee Hatcher

I picked up a few books by this author when they dropped in price.  This is one of the ones I bought.

Emily originally left Washington to take care of her sister and nephew when they were very sick.  Returning to Idaho was something of a homecoming for her and she hasn't left yet.  The time just never seems right.  She longs to do something worthwhile, important. She sees an advertisement for a governess in the newspaper and thinks it might be what God wants her to do.

When she's given the job, she travels back with the husband and wife who hired her.  The wife, Dru, seems genuinely interested in her and likes her immediately.  Her husband, Gavin, doesn't think she'll last the winter.  Gavin and Emily don't know it, but Dru has just picked out her husband's next wife.

Gavin married Dru when she found out she was dying.  It was a marriage of convenience to provide a family for her two daughters, and they both knew that before they married. Gavin doesn't mind, he's sworn off women, especially beautiful ones like Emily.

These two are placed in an impossible position.  While Dru sees that they're starting to care for each other, the guilt that attraction places on them is unbearable.  Gavin feels like he should be faithful to his wife, and Emily doesn't want to betray her new friend.

I think this was a good book overall, but I felt bad for the main characters in this one. They have a pure attraction for each other, but they aren't given the freedom to embrace those feelings.  I don't know why Dru wasn't more clear with her plan or maybe she could have executed it differently.  I don't know, but it just bothered me for some reason.

The characters were well written and I enjoyed the book.  Not my favorite by this author, but still a nice read for a rainy day.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment