A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, November 14, 2014

Waking Lazarus - T.L. Hines

I picked this book up over two years ago for free.  I put it on my Kindle.  I took it off.  I just couldn't gather up the interest to start reading it.  I like to watch for Bethany House books that go on sale, and I would see this one pop up fairly often.  At that time, I would think, "Hey, I think I bought that.  I should probably go read it."  And then forget.  I finally got my courage up and decided to read it.

The first time Jude died, he was eight years old.  The strange thing is, he doesn't stay dead.  In fact, he comes back from the dead more than once.  His ability to return from the Other Side has drawn the attention of too many people.  As a result, he moves to Montana, changes his name and becomes terribly paranoid.

A woman shows up on his doorstep and he starts on an adventure that will show him that he's more than the paranoid man who's distanced himself from the world.  He has a gift that he's meant to use.  The problem is, he fights against participating until he's faced with losing the one thing that he actually cares about.

A Hunter/Normal is abducting children that he thinks of as Quarry.  Jude thinks he has a chance to stop the man, but he's going to have to embrace his gift to do it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book.  It leads you to where you think you have things figured out, but then you find out you were wrong.  It's a little on the dark side, but it's not the gory, in-your-face stuff.  It's pretty benign in that aspect and I was pleased at the ending.

This book was the first release by this author and he's had a few come out since then.  I'm not tracking any of them at present, but this one was a real page-turner and a well-written story.  Recommended.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment