A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory #2) - Sarah Sundin

After reading book 1, A Distant Melody, and book 3, Blue Skies Tomorrow, I was ready and willing to finish the series with A Memory Between Us.

Jack is the brother that is expected to follow in his father's footsteps and become a preacher.  The problem is that he doesn't really feel that he is cut out for that particular task.  He's not really sure that it's his calling.  He has always felt the most at home in the air and that's the way he likes it.

Ruth is a nurse that is trying to take care of her family even though she has been forced away from them and they aren't all together.  She also has a past that she feels she'll never be able to forget.  Once she meets Jack, she is having to rethink what exactly she wants and what she needs.  Most of her life she has pushed everyone away, but Jack is determined to break through her walls whether she wants him to or not.

This was another intense book.  This one deals with the dangerous consequences of pride and the shame and scars left by rape.  As these two each struggle against their own issues, Jack pushes Ruth only to have her push him away.

Honestly, I kind of felt like I had fell asleep in the middle of a movie and woke up at the end.  Having read the beginning and end of the series really affected my overall enjoyment of the series.  Don't get me wrong, I love this series, I just would have been more invested if I had read them in order.  If you read them, take my advice and read them in order.  I enjoyed the depth of the characters and the different aspects that were addressed in each book.

One word of caution: If you have absolutely no interest in the Army Air Corp, WWII or anything surrounding it, I want to warn you that there are a lot of details in this series. While I completely loved all the details, I can see how someone who wasn't really into that would find all the descriptions a bit tedious.  All in all, this was a fabulous series and I look forward to reading more from the author.  Great Book!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed Jack & Ruth's story - even out of order :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a great series. I appreciated all the research and detail included. Since my grandfather was a B-26 pilot, I feel like I really got a small taste of what that part of his life may have been like. I'm so glad I got to read this series. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete