A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Camellia (Song of the River #2) - Diane Ashley & Aaron McCarver

After being gone all week on vacation, it's good to be home!  While I was gone, I was able to read Camellia, the second book in the Song of the River series.  I recently finished Lily, which is book 1 and was pretty impressed.

Camellia is the middle sibling.  Her family is an embarrassment to her and she wishes for nothing more than a plantation husband so that she can be a social icon and take care of her home.  At the beginning, she is a materialistic brat, and I have to admit, more than a little annoying.  When the Civil War breaks out, she is on the hunt for a handsome officer to be her husband.

Jonah has known Camellia for quite some time now and is disappointed that she seems so shallow.  The war is going on and everyone around him seems to be supporting the south, but Jonah doesn't agree and ends up becoming a spy for the north.  Since he has to lie to those around him, Camellia sees him as little more than a coward and treats him as such.  Their mutual affection is pushed to the side for much of the book as they fight their own internal battles.

This book ended up being a continuation of the first book.  While the main focus is on Camellia and Jonah, there is enough of Lily and Blake's story that I believe you'd get more out of the series reading them in order.  It really ends up telling more of everyone's stories as the series goes on.  I was impressed to see the twist inserted in there regarding Blake's family.  I'm not giving anything away, you'll have to read them to find out what I'm talking about!

Reading Camellia's story as she learns that God is relevant and changes her point of view on some important matters was enjoyable, and I liked Jonah's character throughout. Overall, this was a great read and I look forward to finding out what happens with Jasmine, the youngest sibling and aspiring actress.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment