A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Patterns of Love (Coming to America #2) - Robin Lee Hatcher

Today I'm reviewing Patterns of Love, book 2 in the Coming to America series.  I enjoyed Dear Lady and was hoping for more of the same.

Inga lives in rural Iowa with her father and sisters.  She doesn't feel as beautiful as her sisters and everyone believes that she will never marry and stay home to help her father for the rest of her life.  Then Dirk Bridger arrives and needs help with his ill mother and orphan nieces.  Inga offers to go help the family and brings more life to them than they have seen in quite a long time.

Inga falls for Dirk quickly, but he has dreams of travelling all over the world once he has raised the girls.   When Dirk's mother passes away, it becomes improper for Inga to stay at the house and Dirk realizes that he needs her help, one way or another.  Thus, he goes to her and asks for her hand in marriage.  Not because he loves her, but because he really needs the help.  He even gives her a way out of the marriage for when he leaves.

Inga could think of nothing better than to be married to Dirk and tries to be happy with what she has, but she always seems to want more.  Will they discover that what they have is special before it's too late?

I found this book to be much more depressing than the first.  Inga goes through quite a lot and has a serious bout of depression in there.  She retreats into herself so much that Dirk ends up bringing her back to her father's house for a time.  Very sad.  The reason for her depression is sad.  The misunderstandings are sad.

Overall, it was a decent book, but I liked the first one better.  There are two more in the series that are on my Kindle to read.  I might take a break before tackling the next one, In His Arms, that tells the story of Mary, the last of the three women that traveled to America together.  The fourth in the series, Promised to Me, appears to be about someone that I haven't read about yet.  Not sure how she fits in, but I suppose I'll find out!


No comments:

Post a Comment