A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, September 17, 2012

When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions #1) - Lynette Eason

This is the third book that I have read by this author.  I have read 2 of her books from the Women of Justice series (Don't Look Back being the one that I have reviewed) and pretty much knew what kind of book I was in for.  This one popped up for free and has sat on my Kindle since April.

Sabotage has forced Alexia on leave from her job as a firefighter in Washington and come home only to be greeting by a dead body in her mother's basement.  Not only does she see the killer, she has a chance to try and save the victim, her ex-boyfriend from high school.

Hunter is a detective and arrives on the scene.  He was interested in Alexia in high school, but she was a few years younger than he was and never gave him a passing glance.  Now he has to try and solve not only this murder, but it seems that the killer isn't done yet.

Alexia is also dealing with feelings of low self worth, a mother in the hospital, guilt over a house fire, regret over her brother, disbelief that her mother can change and now someone trying to kidnap and harass her.  Let's just say that she has a lot on her plate.

The bad guy is after information to find Jillian, a best friend of Alexia's from high school. On graduation night, she witnessed something and has disappeared.  Now the guy is getting notes that suggest that Jillian is back.  He may not be able to locate her, but he can come after her friends and try to find her though them.

I didn't have any issues finishing this book, but I'm on the fence as to how much I like this type of book.  I was a little unsure after Don't Look Back, but thought maybe circumstances had affected my opinion.  Now I'm not so sure.  The amount of crime and attempted murder, etc. that happens to these people in such a short period of time is just exhausting.  It's kind of like watching Criminal Minds, but it's not over in an hour.

The next book in this series, When a Heart Stops, comes out in October and follows the story of Serena, a classmate of Alexia's, and Dominic, Alexia's brother.  The man behind the crimes is still on the loose and Serena is next on his list to pump for information.  I really want to like these books, but I think that I'm done with them.  There's too much out there for me to read to keep a book for 5 months because I'm not sure that I'm going to be glad I read it in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment