A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Stubborn Heart - Becky Wade

If you've read any of my contemporary fiction posts in the past, I'm not a fan of them at all. This one seemed to have aspects that interested me, so I decided to pick it up and give it a shot.  I made it to 6% and just had to quit.  Normally, I would go to at least 10% to say I'd given it more of a chance, but I just couldn't make it.

Kate is headed to Pennsylvania to help her grandmother renovate her house that basically got preserved in the 50s.  She arrives and they meet Matt, the man who is going to help out as well.

The writing itself was what stopped me reading this one.  The woman is supposed to be 30 and in the 6% I'd read, they'd used the word 'hunk' 3 times and also described Matt as hot looking and "in-your-face, big-screen, major-league handsome."  I also had issues thinking that men would have thoughts like sleeping in a room would be like sleeping in a purple carnation and referring to a color of pink resembling chewed bubble gum.

In addition to the general way that it was written, I thought it weird that one night she is so overwhelmed by his handsomeness she can't speak and the next she's a chatterbox that doesn't shut up.  I'm sure that there are lots of people out there that would enjoy this type of writing, I'm just not a fan.  Too bad, it seemed like it would be a nice story.


No comments:

Post a Comment