A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In His Arms (Coming to America #3) - Robin Lee Hatcher

After finishing Patterns of Love, I decided that I needed a break from this series.  The adversity in that book had been depressing.  Dear Lady was the first in the series and I did enjoy that one, so I opened up this third book and gave it a shot.

Mary is the last of the three women that came to America together.  It has been over a year since they arrived and Mary is working as a housemaid.  The lecherous man of the house tries to take liberties with Mary and she bashes him over the head with a silver cigar box and runs away, thinking that she has murdered him.

A woman on the train west senses that Mary and her young son are in trouble, and she has had her share of that.  She is gravely ill and starting to re-evaluate her life.  Not usually a giving woman, she offers Mary a position in her saloon as her bookkeeper on a whim.  Mary has very little choice and decides to trust the woman.

Carson is the sheriff and the last person that Mary wants to fall in love with.  She is a thief and a murderess and if he discovered what she had done, he would be obligated to take her to jail, leaving her son without a mother.  She can't let that happen.

The mining town in Idaho that they live in is having issues of its own.  The mismanagement is creating unrest among the miners and an accident may end up causing riots.  Mary is searching for her miner brother, who came to America years ago.  She's not even sure that he's still in Idaho, but she needs to find him and get away from Carson and her growing feelings for him.

The wealthy man that Mary thinks she killed needs that cigar box and will do whatever it takes to get it back.  His search for her would reveal her past and destroy her chance at happiness.

I was glad to read that this book wasn't as depressing as the previous book.  The obstacles are not near as bad and it was a great story.  I'm currently finishing up the series and enjoying the read.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment