A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles) - Lawana Blackwell

This is a new author for me and I was wavering on whether or not to pick this one up, but it was free and I knew I could trust Bethany House Publishers.

Julia has discovered that the death of her husband is also going to mean that she has to leave the home that she loves.  Now she has to travel with her two children to a rural area and try to earn enough money for her family to live on.

Fortunately for her, one of the servants actually cares about her and decides to travel with Julia and the children.  They work hard to try to establish the Larkspur Inn as a lodging house on an old carriage route.  Since the railroad was established, the town has lost that business and Julia is going to have to work hard to make ends meet.

I made it to about 30% and decided to quit.  At that point, the love interest hadn't even arrived in town yet.  I had wrongly deduced that this was a romance novel and had expected it as such.  The book is told from different points of view: Julia, the housekeeper Fiona, and Julia's son Phillip.

I just wasn't as interested as I thought I would be.  I had hoped to at least meet the romantic interest character by 30% in, but it was not to be.  Just not the book for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment