A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

I read this book a long time ago, but after watching a movie adaptation, I wanted to read it again.

Dorian had a portrait made. He's a handsome, pure, young man. While he's with the painter one day, he meets Lord Henry. He is fearful that he'll lose his youthful appearance and makes a sincere wish he could remain the way he is, and the painting could age and reflect his sins instead. He briefly finds love, but she isn't what he thought, and he dumps her. She takes drastic measures, and his reaction to it is unnatural.

After her death, he dives into the world of corruption and sin. When he notices his wish has been granted, and the painting is changing, he feels like he's off the hook. Eventually, his sins will catch up with him.

For the most part, the book was pretty good, but I do have some issues. There are sections of the book that are unnecessarily descriptive. It'll get philosophical and stay that way to the point of confusion. Toward the end, I feel like the whole section describing (in great detail) Dorian's hobbies could have been summed up. I don't care about specific embroidery examples that fascinated Dorian. Also, the sins are hinted at. Instead of talking about art and beauty, I wish they had been slightly more specific about what he did. What was on the paper Dorian gave Alan?

Overall, the book is worth a read. I wish parts of it weren't there to make a smoother flow to the narrative, but it is still a Good Book! Side note: I'm not sure why the movie added a whole woman for Dorian. It softened his character in a way that didn't happen in the book. The paranoia and way he got into his own head was well done, and I really enjoyed this book. In case it got buried by my additional thoughts, I am giving this a Good Book! review.

RIP Basil.



No comments:

Post a Comment