A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Six Faces of Courage - M. R. D. Foot

Michael Richard Daniell Foot was in the intelligence arm of the military. He's written many books about the topic, specifically the SOE (Special Operations Executive) in WWII. In this particular book, he tells the stories of six people: Jean Moulin, Marie-Madeline Fourcade, Harry Peuleve, Victor Gerson, Andree de Jongh, and Witold Pilecki.

Each of these people did their part to resist the invaders. They didn't fight for one day or one week. It was months and sometimes years. Some of them lived through the war and some died. The ones that lived were never the same. I was familiar with a few of the stories, but I still learned a lot.

The writing was easy to follow. Each section starts out with an overview of the situation and a bit of background to the person's life. You're not getting the full biography for obvious reasons. It helps to remind me of the hardships that people of all ages endured during a terrible time. Even if you're familiar with the people listed, the other books referenced would give you more information if you want to dive deeper.

On a personal note, this book was well annotated. So that means I ended up with a whole list of new books to look into. I'll never be make my way through my list. Oh well. I'll never run out of things to read! I'm giving this one a Good Book! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment