A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

The Last Enemy - Richard Hillary

Hillary was a pilot with the RAF during WWII. 

I would separate the book into three sections. The first is Hillary's life before the war. The second is his flight time, and the last is what happened after his injury. I felt like the flight time was not as detailed as I was expecting, but I was invested in his story.

Hillary suffered severe burns and underwent multiple surgeries to reconstruct his hands and face after a serious crash. The experience was trying, and I felt a huge amount of sympathy for him. Eventually, he decided to write down his experience, and this book is the result. It was published in 1942. The amazing thing is that he worked his way back into the war and ended up being killed in a crash in January 1943. 

I found the writing style very good. I was engaged with his story, and the way he focused on all three of the aspects of his experience really struck me as unique. If you're looking for an autobiography focused on dogfights and ace pilots, you may not find what you're looking for here. If you want to read a man's evolution from a carefree young man to a man with a purpose, you might enjoy this book. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment