A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, May 25, 2024

Farewell to Manzanar - Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston

One of the darker things that happened on American soil was the internment of the Japanese Americans during WWII. It's a subject we don't like to talk about, something we don't like to admit we let happen. But it did happen, and it's something we shouldn't forget.

Jeanne was a little girl when she was taken to one of these camps. She spent a few years there, and she watched the toll it took on her family. It also affected the way she saw herself and her heritage. The book does a great job exploring the thoughts and feelings she went through. She just wanted to be accepted.

I liked this book. I feel like it was a common experience for the Japanese Americans of the time. I can understand why they would feel rage, confusion and betrayal. Some of them adjusted to the circumstances, and others adjusted too well to the point where they didn't know what to do when they were freed.

I'm glad I read this book. I've read more than one account of life in a concentration camp, and it's more of a "popular" topic. By that I mean more people are aware of it, but it's still becoming something that isn't common knowledge. It's a shame this topic isn't more widely known. I feel like it's our job as parents to make sure the next generation is aware of things like this so they aren't forgotten. This particular account was easy to read and well written. I appreciate the author coming to terms with her feelings and being brave enough to share them with the world. It's an important story, and I'm glad she shared it. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment