A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Throwback Thursday! - Nancy Drew

Never fear, my throwback isn't a picture of me with large poofy hair and clothes from the 80s!

Since my eye has been acting strange, I have been avoiding reading on my Kindle for the past few days.  A few months ago, I was able to get a couple of books from my Grandma's house as it is getting ready to be sold.  One of those was an old Nancy Drew, called The Password to Larkspur Lane

This Nancy Drew made me smile.  With her "quaint blue frock" and her willingness to rush headfirst into danger, it was a blast from the past for me.  In this story, lots of strange, seemingly unconnected things are clues that connect to the disappearance of an older woman.  Bess and George get a mention, but they aren't participating in this adventure.  I was a little disappointed about that, but her friend, Helen, filled in nicely as her sidekick.

This particular story had more danger than I remember, but I haven't read a Nancy Drew in quite a few years.  As a mom, I had to wonder what in the world her dad was thinking. This teenager specifically avoids the police and inserts herself into situations that would cause me a heart attack as a parent.  Her father tells her to be careful, but doesn't really discourage her from following down the path to danger.  The last thing I would do is buy the girl a new car!  It would just encourage her to get into more trouble.

I believe this is a first edition, 1933 is listed inside the cover.  The Password to Larkspur Lane is the 10th title in the series.  I found it amusing that the previous titles are listed in the first part of the story as a kind of summary of "what's happened so far" and then the next title gets a mention at the end.  Curiosity got the best of me, and I looked up how many titles were written in the original series.  To my surprise, I found out that Carolyn Keene is a pen name and Nancy Drew books were written by many different authors. Some titles had as many as 5 people contributing!  The series was also revised beginning in 1959.

I had a great time reading through this.  Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, but this book just made me smile.  It made me wonder what books my kids will look back on fondly and reread with a smile on their face.  Heartily gets a Good Book! review!



No comments:

Post a Comment