A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Lass from Glenwellan - Celia Jolley

This was my Kindle Unlimited title for the month.  It's 171 pages, and this is a new author for me.

When Susannah is called away from school to take care of her father, she ends up working in his bookshop.  It is soon discovered that the bookkeeper has been taking advantage, and Susannah's father is sent to debtor's prison.  With few options, Susannah flees to her mother's country home in Glenwellan, only to discover her inheritance has been sold.  The current occupants think she's an answer to prayer, and she becomes the governess to Lord Ashford's daughters.

As Susannah settles into her new position, she becomes close to her employer and attached to the children.  When her father becomes ill again, she returns to London and finds her employer's friend at her father's side.  Her father begins to recover, but now he's hesitant to allow Susannah to return to Glenwellan.

The first thing that struck me about this book was that it needs an editor - bad.  On a technical level, there are fluctuating spaces between lines, missing or inappropriate punctuation and other things.  I worked hard to look past these things, because I wanted to give the story itself a chance.  Unfortunately, I never saw a lot of depth in the characters. I feel that the plot had potential, but I just don't feel it was executed well.

This isn't the first Kindle Unlimited title I've been disappointed with lately, but I won't give up easily.  I believe there are good books out there by authors that don't have the big time publishing contract.  I'll keep searching.  This one in particular was a miss, and I'm sorry for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment